Catalina Island & Catamaran Sailing (ASA 104/114)
The curriculum includes Provisioning, trip planning, navigation, anchoring, mooring boat systems, and their operation.
$1,599 – Non-Members
You will learn to operate: an inverter for 110V power, multiple battery banks, electric refrigeration, hot and cold running water with multiple water tanks, a propane stove with an oven and a solenoid, a propane BBQ, and a complete head system with holding tank, tank watch and macerator.
Acquire confidence through our 100% hands-on training program: You will provision the boat, calculate the compass courses, use the electronics (GPS, chart plotter, depth sounder. knot meter, Autopilot) to navigate to your destination, steer the boat, trim the sails, learn to use and care for the roller furling genoa, stand a watch, set an anchor, pick up a mooring, tow and use the dinghy and outboard, and learn to trouble-shoot the boat systems. Your Instructor will discuss night sailing, heavy weather, emergencies at sea, and attempt to pass on to you years of local cruising knowledge.
The class is typically scheduled Saturday – Monday.
Prerequisite: ASA 101 & ASA 103
- Taught by a professional, licensed & certified instructor
- Three full days on the water
- ASA Text Book, Coastal Cruising Made Easy sold separately
- ASA-103 Certification
- Internationally recognized certification
- Advanced training in systems and boat handling
- US Coast Guard equipped cruising sailboat
- Skills and knowledge training that will last a lifetime
Includes 1 complimentary extended on-the-water checkout on your first bareboat charter ($250 value). Must schedule your charter within the next 60 days in order to redeem a complimentary extended checkout. 3 days/ 2nights of class/water time.
Please purchase and read the book Bareboat Cruising Made Easy by American Sailing. Books may be purchased from Blue Pacific Yachting, ASA, West Marine, Amazon.com, and other resources.
A minimum of 4 students is required to run this class. Smaller classes are possible with higher, per-person tuition. Cancellation/postponement may be necessary for under-subscribed classes.
3 Day Course
You will be directed to appropriate parking upon check-in.
Bedding & Linens:
These are not included in your ASA 104 class; however, they are available from Blue Pacific Yachting. Linen packages cost $75 per person and include a blanket, sheets, pillow, pillow case and towel.
Deck shoes with white soles and a warm jacket are essential year round. Casual comfortable sports clothing is recommended – layers are the way to go. Please pack all personal gear in a soft case or duffle bag, and remember that boats have very limited storage space.
No hard suitcases are permitted on the boats.
These items are highly recommended. They are not required for the classes, but will make your sailing experience more comfortable and/or interesting: flashlight(s), sailing gloves, sailing knife, portable GPS, inflatable vest such as SOSPENDERS (available from West Marine), hat, sunglasses and sun block, portable VHF, and cell phone.
Please understand that we will be expecting you on class day, and will have reserved a boat and an instructor for you.
- If you cancel 14 days prior to your class, you will receive credit for future instruction.
- Any credit granted must be used within six (6) months of the originally scheduled class.
- The first timely request to reschedule is free; all others will be billed at $50.00 each.
- Any cancellation requests with less than fourteen (14) days’ notice will forfeit their deposit.
- If weather does not permit the class to take place, it will be rescheduled.
- Absolutely no refunds, no exceptions.
- No smoking
- No pets are allowed on boats at any time.
- No Firearms or Drugs:
- The US Coast Guard and Blue Pacific Yachting have adopted a zero tolerance policy with regard to firearms or any illegal substance. Failure to comply could result in severe legal action.
$1,599 – Non-Members
We look forward to helping you achieve your goals. If you're just starting out or hoping to increase your experience level and skillset, we'll get you there. Blue Pacific Yachting Saiing School has served the Marina del Rey community for more than 30 years. Sailing, powerboating, trips to Catalina Island and the Channel Islands, yacht racing classes, spinnaker clinics, catamaran courses, docking clinics, instructor certification courses — we cover it all. We are proud to be LA's premier boating destination.