Docking Certification (ASA 118)
This course is highly recommended for both new and experienced boaters as a way to gain confidence around the dock.
It will also strongly enhance your resume should you wish to charter a boat.
$475 – Members
$499 – Non-Members
In this full-day class, the instructor will go over the different types of docking. You will learn how to handle breeze, currents and the different techniques to land safely on a mid-sized cruising boat.
You will receive plenty of hands-on experience pulling into a slip, landing on a long dock and approaching a mooring from different directions and conditions.
PRE-REQUISITE: ASA 101 or equivalent
*Includes $50 credit towards future bareboat charter. Must be redeemed within 60 days of completion of ASA 118 course.
Students ages 17 & under must be accompanied by a legal guardian
ASA 118 Certification will be earned by the student demonstrating knowledge and skill in the following:
- Ability to name the forces that act on a boat during docking maneuvers.
- Communication with crew members.
- Proper use of docking lines.
- Docking and undocking in a variety of slips.
- Ability to learn and assess conditions and potential hazards.
Includes $50 credit towards future bareboat charter. Must be redeemed within 60 days of completion of ASA 118 course.
1 Day Course
Public lot on the corner of Admiralty Way and Bali Way. Entrance to the lot is on Bali Way. Please purchase a day ticket and display on the dashboard.
Deck shoes with white soles and a warm jacket are essential year round. Casual comfortable sports clothing is recommended – layers are the way to go. Please pack all personal gear in a soft case or duffle bag, and remember that boats have very limited storage space.
No hard suitcases are permitted on the boats.
Please understand that we will be expecting you on class day, and will have reserved a boat and an instructor for you.
- If you cancel 14 days prior to your class, you will receive credit for future instruction.
- Any credit granted must be used within six (6) months of the originally scheduled class.
- The first timely request to reschedule is free; all others will be billed at $50.00 each.
- Any cancellation requests with less than fourteen (14) days’ notice will forfeit their deposit.
- If weather does not permit the class to take place, it will be rescheduled.
- Absolutely no refunds, no exceptions.
- No smoking
- No pets are allowed on boats at any time.
- No Firearms or Drugs:
- The US Coast Guard and Blue Pacific Yachting have adopted a zero tolerance policy with regard to firearms or any illegal substance. Failure to comply could result in severe legal action.
$475 – Members
$499 – Non-Members
We look forward to helping you achieve your nautical goals. If you're just starting out, or hoping to increase your experience level and skillset, we'll get you there. Blue Pacific Yachting has served the Marina del Rey community for more than 30 years. With Sailing instruction, powerboating courses, trips to Catalina Island and the Channel Islands, yacht racing classes, spinnaker clinics, catamaran courses, docking clinics, instructor certification courses — we cover it all. Plus, we have a beautiful fleet of boats to bareboat charter. We are proud to be LA's premier boating destination.