Beginning Sailing (ASA 101)
You’ll join a group of eager adventurers who have also decided to explore the aquatic world from the deck of a sailboat. Your licensed and certified professional sailing instructor will provide all the resources you need in a safe and nurturing environment.
$849 – Non-Members
$799 – Veterans
Your Beginning Sailing class breezes through basic sail terminology and concepts, the building blocks of solid, nautical knowledge and skills. You and your crew will apply what you’ve learned to sail the 25 foot boat with minimal guidance. Don’t worry, your instructor will keep you out of trouble and help when it’s necessary.
Before you know it, you and your fellow novices will take control of the sailboat and sail it efficiently and safely from one location to another. Your knowledge and skills will develop quicker than you might expect.
By the end of the two day, 14 hour sailing course you’ll shed the novice label. If you make the grade (and most our sailing students do), your instructor will award you the ASA 101 Basic Keelboat Sailing certification. This highly esteemed achievement will show the world you have earned the right to call yourself a sailor.
- Taught by a professional, licensed & certified instructor
- Two full days on the water
- ASA Text Book, Sailing Made Easy sold separately
- ASA Log Book
- ASA-101 Certification
- Internationally recognized certification
- US Coast Guard equipped Merit 25’ sailboat
- Develop confidence in our 100% hands-on training program.
Includes 1 complimentary confidence sail with an ASA instructor post successful completion of your 2-day ASA 101 course. Confidence sails – Head out on the water and practice your skills with an ASA instructor on board. Up to 17hrs of class/water time. Schedule confidence sail within 60 days of completion of your ASA 101 course. Additional confidence sails can be purchased.
You will be directed to appropriate parking upon check-in.
Bedding & Linens:
These are not included in your ASA 104 class; however, they are available from Blue Pacific Yachting. Linen packages cost $75 per person and include a blanket, sheets, pillow, pillow case and towel.
Deck shoes with white soles and a warm jacket are essential year round. Casual comfortable sports clothing is recommended – layers are the way to go. Please pack all personal gear in a soft case or duffle bag, and remember that boats have very limited storage space.
No hard suitcases are permitted on the boats.
These items are highly recommended. They are not required for the classes, but will make your sailing experience more comfortable and/or interesting: flashlight(s), sailing gloves, sailing knife, portable GPS, inflatable vest such as SOSPENDERS (available from West Marine), hat, sunglasses and sun block, portable VHF, and cell phone.
Please understand that we will be expecting you on class day, and will have reserved a boat and an instructor for you.
- If you cancel 14 days prior to your class, you will receive credit for future instruction.
- Any credit granted must be used within six (6) months of the originally scheduled class.
- The first timely request to reschedule is free; all others will be billed at $50.00 each.
- Any cancellation requests with less than fourteen (14) days’ notice will forfeit their deposit.
- If weather does not permit the class to take place, it will be rescheduled.
- Absolutely no refunds, no exceptions.
- No smoking
- No pets are allowed on boats at any time.
- No Firearms or Drugs:
- The US Coast Guard and Blue Pacific Yachting have adopted a zero tolerance policy with regard to firearms or any illegal substance. Failure to comply could result in severe legal action.
$849 – Non-Members
$799 – Veterans
We look forward to helping you achieve your goals. If you're just starting out or hoping to increase your experience level and skillset, we'll get you there. Blue Pacific Yachting has served the Marina del Rey community for more than 30 years. Sailing, powerboating, trips to Catalina Island and the Channel Islands, yacht racing classes, spinnaker clinics, catamaran courses, docking clinics, instructor certification courses — we cover it all. We are proud to be LA's premier boating destination.